In their founding years in Philadelphia,
the sick or dependent elderly
members of the Sisters of Saint Joseph lived at the Motherhouse, Mount
Saint Joseph Convent, in the Chestnut Hill section of Philadelphia. By the turn of the century
the Motherhouse Infirmary could no longer give the medical care to the
increasing number of sisters needing it. In 1908 the Congregation
established Saint Joseph Villa in Cheltenham, Pennsylvania which served the community
until the early 1960’s when the need for expansion exceeded
the zoning regulations for Cheltenham Township. Ground was
broken for a new Saint
Joseph Villa in Flourtown, PA on May
1, 1965 and the first residents moved in on June
care needs have developed rapidly since the opening in 1968. In 1981,
in a conscious effort to exercise just stewardship and to provide
opportunities for mutual enrichment, Saint Joseph Villa was
opened to other religious congregations and lay women and men in need
of nursing care.
Joseph Villa has been responding to the signs of the times and the
mission of the Congregation of the Sisters of Saint Joseph since 1908.
sisters are committed to continuing this mission and to meeting the
challenges of health care in the future.